Friday, March 14, 2008

Some mountings

My next step is to have a more serious and semi permanent mount for the engine and transmission. Since there was no engine in the car (presumably some tabs located on the frame rails were for the Offy engine), there is no real go by. I put the stock Mercury engine mounts on the bottom of the water pumps which is where they go on this engine. I then cut some angle iron pieces to bolt to them. From that I had a 2" schedule 2 pipe bent in the same profile as a mock up strap I'd fastened to the engine previously (when I test fit the body). With this and having the help of my friend Tom, I drilled the pipe, attached the angle, and then cut angle iron uprights to fasten it to the frame rails. For now, I've attached those to the frame rails with u-bolts, but once I'm sure of the engine position, I'll have angle welded to the frame rail that I can attach to these same uprights. Of course at that time, I'll also cut off the pipe down even with the frame rail for a more professional look. This will be strong, similar to the original tube construction, and importantly, will allow the whole engine to be removed with only a few bolts.

I applied the same idea to the transmission mount but instead of using a cross tube, I chose a simple channel. Again all of the ends will be trimmed for the nicest, most efficient look, and the channel will hold the rubber mount (here shown as a wood block) for the gearbox.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to use anykind of rubber bumper or bushing to cut down on engine vibration through the mounts? Please don't email to my gmail account. Use daveogino@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

I am not stephanie, that is my wife. She won't let me have my own google account because she thinks it will take over hers!

Dave Ogino