Monday, January 21, 2008

Such a nice day yesterday afternoon that I got busy, and hoisted the body off that chassis. First, I measured as close as I could for that front cowl bar. I'm not so sure about where this should go. Remember the firewall is on two planes (the drivers side and the rest), and that's offset 8". So that means the bar has to be back of that (closer to the dashboard), and then I start questioning what is going to interfere. There's the angle iron that's there, and there's the handbrake, but more importantly the steering column goes down through there, and I would like to use the bar for support of that, but not have it interfere. In the end, I measured it for right behind the horizontal edge of the firewall sheeting. There's a conduit glassed in below the windshield there, but that space is as close to the cowl as I'm going to get, and also be out of the way. I think something as small as 1.5" pipe might be adequate, and I can buffer against the cowl with some sort of rubber blocks. I have no way of knowing how the body would lower over this in place, but I'm planning on a socket type arrangement so that it will be put in after, or as the body is lowered. Marked the frame tube location for that as well.

The other measurement is for the rollbar. I hadn't originally planned to have something like this in the car, since I really don't intend to use it for any sort of competitive purpose. However, just like the cowl bar, I think a hoop would stiffen the frame, provide support to the fiberglass roof and add safety. Like the cowl bar, it's going to have to be removable (meaning I'm going to have to put it in when the body is on the chassis). With spars that run to the tube frame at the back, there's no question that it would be strong.

No comments: